The Girlguiding Cambridgeshire East Residential Centre
The attractive brick-built Jarman Centre house, which opened in 1988, has an overhanging roof that provides covered areas to link inside and outside activities. It is set in 18.4 acres of private woodland, where there are four campsites, an archery area and extensive tracks and trails.
In 2009 the house was comprehensively updated with solar hot water, and an air-source heat pump that powers a mechanical heating and ventilation recovery system to maintain an ambient temperature throughout the building.
The Loft was fitted out to provide self-contained accommodation for smaller groups, with sound insulation in the floor. A new all-access wetroom and laundry were included on the Ground Floor and the Leaders’ rooms were enlarged, updated with en-suite facilities and divan beds instead of bunks. The girls’ washrooms now boast amazing shower doors made from recycled plastic bottles and the dorms were given a colourful coat of paint.
At the same time a sensory garden was designed by SPICE Guides in Newmarket and the Leaders also raised £50,000 to pay for it.
We are very grateful for all the support we have received from the many individuals, organisations and funding bodies, without whom these projects would not have happened.
Why is it called the Jarman Centre?
Girlguiding Cambridgeshire East bought the site using proceeds from the sale of Haddenham Halt, a converted railway station that had served as a Brownie pack holiday home and Guide centre for 13 years. The County’s building fund was augmented by generous gifts from Cambridge City Division and Cambridge City Trefoil Guild from their bequests from Miss Marjory Alice Jarman (13 August 1900 – 1 January 1981), so loved as ‘Jammie’. And so the Centre was named after her.
Jammie was enrolled as a Guide into the 12th Cambridge Guide Company in 1916. She was County Camp Adviser from 1942 until 1953. During World War II she was a member of the Guide International Service (GIS) serving in the Egyptian desert, in a Cairo hospital and in the Displaced Persons Centre in Piraeus.
She was awarded the WVS Long Service Medal in 1961 for 22 years of service, 40 duties a year. Her life was one of service to the wider community as well as to Girlguiding.
In 1920 Jammie started the 14th Cambridge Land Ranger Company, remaining as Leader until 1957. She founded the Cambridge City Trefoil Guild in 1943.
This model was made by Heather Dixon when the plans had been drawn up for the Centre. It was taken around the county to help with fundraising.